Start Date: June 2021
The Reimagining Democracy Organizer will grow our grassroots partisan and nonpartisan democracy initiatives and campaigns. They will work directly with Chicago Votes staff and volunteers to execute the Chicago Votes Reimagining Democracy program.
Role & Responsibilities
The Reimagining Democracy Organizers will execute the day-to-day civic engagement program efforts. They will lead Chicago Votes’ Reimagining Democracy program which includes our Parade to the Polls, High School engagement, college engagement, and Get Out the Vote efforts. This will include:
- Work with relevant partners at the Just Democracy Illinois coalition to support all coalition activities.
- Manage our coalition of youth focus organizations that support youth organizer development.
- Execute the Chicago Votes Parade to the Polls program.
- Oversee the development and execution of Chicago Votes nonpartisan, Get Out the Vote campaigns
- Support our Election Judge recruitment efforts
- Engage civic educators around Chicago Votes curated curriculum.
- Support Chicago Votes democracy reform campaigns.
Occasional travel will be necessary to fulfill the expectations of this position.
Knowledge | Skills
Organizers who have great leadership skills and are excited to learn about the cutting edge new organizing methods. Some other things we’re looking for:
- Proven and highly effective organizational and written/oral communication skills
- Setting and meeting goals
- A self-starter that can show strong initiative and work independently
- Strong affinity for networking and building strategic relationships
- Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Ability to work within diverse and underrepresented communities
- Some experience working with young voters, voter registration, or campaigns
- Willingness to work non-traditional work hours and weekends
Strong Applicants Should Be…
- Strong ability to motivate volunteers and partners
- Culturally competent and comfortable discussing race, gender, and power
- Meticulous and detail-oriented
- Highly organized and productive
- Prepared for occasional odd and long hours
- Prepare to travel city-wide (frequently by public transit)
- Committed to the idea and practice of leadership development
Relevant Software & Tools
- NGP VAN (our donor database and primary tool for emailing our base)
- Google Apps/Drive
- Pages, Numbers, and Keynote
- Social Media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Hootsuite
Please email your resume, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, May 3rd.
Please direct any questions to Rudy Garrett at email@example.com
Nominate an Organizer
Help us find our organizer by nominating a young person! Please make your recommendation by Wednesday, April 28th!
Chicago Votes supports and fosters leadership from underrepresented communities. We strongly urge formerly incarcerated people, womyn, LGBTQIA, people of color, and folx from immigrant communities to apply.