Hiring: DemocracyCorps 2020!
In 2020, Chicago Votes is looking for DemocracyCorps Organizers to work with our Community Organizing team to get out the vote in the November Elections. The Chicago Votes’ DemocracyCorps program develops young organizers from communities across Chicago to be the change they want to see. The program seeks to increase civic participation amongst young people by giving them the tools to organize their communities. This is a part time position (20 hours/ week) paid at $15/ hr. The program runs from Monday, July 6th- Friday, November 13th (Dates subject to change)
Program participants will learn the basics of grassroots organizing and policy advocacy through hands-on experience with Chicago Votes programs including: Give A Sh*t Chicago, Parade to the Polls™, and Unlock Civics. Chicago Votes will provide organizers with tools to run programs that are proven to increase youth voter turnout and overall public engagement.
Our DemocracyCorps program will help us:
- Produce our 2020 Unlock Civics Voter Guide
- Host the Inaugural Unlock Civics Convening
- Host a large-scale, citywide Parade to the Polls™
- Execute our Inaugural Judicial Court Watching Program
- Execute a community civic engagement training series.
To accomplish the above mentioned objectives, our Ideal candidates will have some experience in grassroots organizing at the community level and possess the capacity to complete the following activities.
- Engage in large scale and event-based voter registration, pledge to vote card collection, and canvassing.
- Act as an organizational ambassador at community events.
- Coordinate both individual and group projects.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment and management.
- Follow detailed instructions associated with traversing large scale institutions like the Illinois Department of Corrections and Chicago Public Schools.
- Engage in issue-based research.
- Support robust digital campaigns.
- Participate in Rest for Radicals with the Chicago Votes team.
- Expert relationship-builder – strong ability to network and build strategic partnerships
- Strong Anti-Oppression frameworks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to stay on top of details and moving pieces
Apply if you are…
- A high energy and funny personality
- A self-starter who shows strong initiative
- Flexible and able to thrive in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Committed to grassroots democracy
- Passionate about cultivating young leaders and advancing a progressive agenda
- Committed to the organizational mission in order to effectively promote and advance the goals of Chicago Votes
Relevant Software & Tools
(should know some & learn the rest)
- NGP VAN (our donor database and primary tool for emailing our base)
- Google Apps
- Pages, Numbers and Keynote
- Social Media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Hootsuite
Please complete the Chicago Votes 2020 DemocracyCorps Application by Friday, May 1st.
Know someone you think would be awesome for the program? Nominate them here by Wednesday, April 22nd.
Chicago Votes supports and fosters leadership from underrepresented communities. We strongly urge womyn, LGBTQIA, people of color, and folx from immigrant communities to apply.