HIRING: Communications Associate
Chicago Votes is searching for our next Communications Associate! The ideal person to fulfill this role will be responsible for the successful planning and implementation of digital and external communications.
The Communications Associate will drive our overall online organizing, content creation, and production of external materials.
This is a FULL time, permanent position with benefits.
Added duties to be performed by said recipient are as follows:
Social Media Management
- Ensure social media is updated daily and reflects Chicago Votes’ grassroots efforts
- Build Chicago Votes brand to ensure we are culturally relevant within the city of Chicago
- Grow followers on all social media platforms
- Create, update, and promote event pages
- Manage organizational social media tracker
Digital Content Creation
- Collect, edit, and distribute photo and video content
- Organize content through dropbox and external hard drive
External Materials and Communications
- Ensure all Chicago Votes external facing materials (which may include mailers, flyers, and media posts) are in line with the Chicago Votes brand
- Ensure photos, video, memes, and infographics are constantly updated and posted on social media to reflect our work
- Create one-pagers and fact sheets reflecting organizational work
- Collaborate to ensure traditional media outlets are engaged
- Send out media advisories and E-blasts when requested from Senior Staff
- Promote Chicago Votes events before, during, and after the event
- Ensure issue-based policies are promoted online
- Collect online witness slips and petition signatures for policy work
- Assist the development team in creating online fundraising content
- Edit and finalize staff external communication documents
- Work collaboratively with the creative network to produce online materials, elevate issues, and coordinate general Chicago Votes efforts for content collection
- Increase online engagement with our network of creatives to be civically engaged and active for the immediate and long-term
- Work with influencers to build Chicago Votes’ base
- Draft and send press releases and media advisories
- Manage external media and delegation of interviews
- Prepare staff for interviews and speeches
- Build relationships with local and national media to constantly uplift and promote Chicago Votes’ work
Your position will include working on all of the above in collaboration with organizers and senior staff.
Strong Applicants Should Be…
- Team oriented
- Able to capture content, then organize, edit, and post content
- A social media expert on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Culturally competent and comfortable discussing race, gender, and power.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledgeable on current events and local politics
- Prepared to travel city-wide to capture content (frequently by public transit)
- Some experience organizing while centering racial justice and/or racial equity
- If you are lacking in an area above but have expertise in another, let us know! You should be willing to bring your full self and talents to the position!
- Three references
- Create 1 meme or 1 infographic encouraging young people to vote
- Your personal social media handle, personal website, and/or portfolio
- *Optional: any additional writing samples or creative work you think might land you the job.
Send the above to “Jobs@ChicagoVotes.com”, with the subject line of “Communications Associate – Name”. This is a rolling, open application process until we find the perfect candidate.
Chicago Votes supports and fosters leadership from underrepresented communities. We strongly urge women, LGBTQIA, people of color, and folks from immigrant communities to apply.