Brian Sleet Memorial Fellowship for Leadership & Advocacy
In 2021, Chicago Votes will continue to host the Brian Sleet Memorial Fellowship. Our Sleet Fellow will learn the basics of grassroots organizing and policy advocacy through hands-on experience with Chicago Votes programs including. The program runs from Monday, June 14th – Friday, August 20th (Dates subject to change depending on fellow’s schedule). This is a part time position (20 hrs/week) paid at $15/hr.
Our Sleet Fellow will help us:
- Register 100 voters
- Fill 50 volunteer shifts
- Attend 3 mutual aid events
- Attend 4 Chicago Board Of Elections meetings and draft a memo debriefing their findings
To accomplish the above mentioned objectives, our ideal candidate will have some experience in grassroots organizing at the community level and possess the capacity to complete the following activities.
- Engage in large scale voter registration and issue based canvassing.
- Coordinate both individual and group projects.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment and management.
- Engage in issue-based research.
- Support robust digital campaigns.
- Expert relationship-builder – strong ability to network and build strategic partnerships
- Strong Anti-Oppression frameworks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to stay on top of details and moving pieces
Apply if you are…
- A high energy and funny personality
- A self-starter who shows strong initiative
- Flexible and able to thrive in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Committed to grassroots democracy
- Passionate about cultivating young leaders and advancing a progressive agenda
- Committed to the organizational mission in order to effectively promote and advance the goals of Chicago Votes
Relevant Software & Tools
(should know some & learn the rest)
- NGP VAN (our donor database and primary tool for emailing our base)
- Google Apps
- Pages, Numbers and Keynote
- Social Media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Hootsuite
Please complete the Chicago Votes Brian Sleet Memorial Fellowship Application by Tuesday, June 1st at 12:00 PM.
Know someone you think would be awesome for the program? Nominate them here Wednesday, May 26th by 12:00 PM.
Chicago Votes supports and fosters leadership from underrepresented communities. We strongly urge womyn, LGBTQIA, Black Youth, and folx from immigrant communities to apply.