Ready to join the team?
We’re seeking a Field Organizer to manage our grassroots campaigns, direct voter engagement, intern program, volunteer recruitment, and general outreach efforts in Chicago. The Field Organizer will work directly with Chicago Votes Executive Director, board of directors and volunteers.
Role & Responsibilities
The Field Organizer will split time between our civic and political arms and will be responsible for helping facilitate our work during various election cycles (general, primary, municipal, etc) as well as organizing around the legislative session. The Field Organizer will execute the day-to-day civic engagement program including but not limited to voter registration, volunteer canvassing and phone calling and voter turn out efforts.
He or she will oversee the management and execution the Chicago Votes’ nonpartisan civic engagement program, leading an 8-12 person organizer team, plus hundreds of volunteers to register 5,000 voters, make 16,000 phone calls and 3,500 door-knocks in the get out the vote period. The position requires knowledge of running street- and-event based canvassing, experience in the day-to-day management of field staff and a penchant for getting large crowds of people registered to vote.
The Field Organizer will not only get volunteers to show up, but also help them grow as community leaders and strengthen their investment in the organization. Volunteers are the core of our work. Occasional travel will be necessary to fulfill the expectations of this position. The Field Organizer won’t be tied to a desk, will meet lots of people, and will make change happen at the grassroots level.
Knowledge | Skills
We’re seeking candidates with some experience field organizing on the local, city, state or federal level and who demonstrate a commitment to face-to-face politics that includes both tradition grassroots organizing skills and cutting edge new organizing methods. Some other things we’re looking for:
- Experience with volunteer recruitment and management
- Event coordination & planning experience preferred
- Proven and highly effective organizational and written/oral communication skills
- Strong track record of setting and meeting goals
- High energy and fun(ny) personality
- A self-starter that can show strong initiative and work independently
- Strong affinity for networking and building strategic relationships
- Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Experience with and ability to work within diverse and underrepresented communities
- Some experience working with young voters, voter registration, or campaigns preferred
- Willingness to work non-traditional work hours and weekends
Strong Applicants Should Be…
- Unstoppably positive, magnetic and joyous personality, with a proven ability to motivate volunteers
- Field organizing experience that demonstrates a commitment to face-to-face politics, and includes both traditional grassroots organizing skills and new organizing methods
- Proven ability to supervise teams
- Meticulous and detail-oriented
- Frugal / efficient (i.e. making a lot happen with little)
- Self directed *and* collaborative
- Freedom to travel (around the city mostly), and freedom to work long and/or irregular hours (often including weekends and evenings)
- Culturally competent and comfortable discussing race, gender, sexual identity and power
- Relentlessly positive in the face of obstacles or the stress of many opportunities
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills
- Willing to commit to position for at least two years
- Tech savvy and/or a fast learner.
- Databases: Experience with VAN Voterfile and Salsa/Wired for change would be great but not required.
- Collaboration tools: Wikis, Google Groups, Google Apps (spreadsheets, forms, etc.)
- Social Media and Online Organizing: Facebook, Twitter, E-blasts
Relevant Software + Tools
- Databases: Experience with VAN Voterfile. Experience with Salsa/WiredForChange ideal but not required.
- Collaboration tools: Wikis, Google Groups, Google Apps, Doodle
- MS Office (particularly Excel)
- Online Tools : Facebook, Twitter, WordPress
Commitment, Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time permanent position reporting to the Executive Director. Salary depends on experience.
The position is fulltime. We will be interviewing and hiring immediately and position open until filled.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Wendy at Team@ChicagoVotes.com (subject line: Field Organizer).
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.