Position start date: November 2015
About Chicago Votes
Chicago Votes is a locally-led movement for next generation, hands-on democracy. As a 501(c)3 nonprofit, we train young people with the leadership skills, civic knowledge, and hands-on experience necessary to have a lasting impact on democracy in Chicago. We engage young new voters, train leaders, and advance progressive policy issues that impact our generation. Since launching in 2012, Chicago Votes has helped young leaders build a stronger democracy with more participation and greater ownership over the political process. We’ve registered more than 20,000 new young voters. We’ve successfully advocated for expanded access to the democratic process through the passage of legislation creating Online Voter Registration and Election Day Voter Registration. And we’ve trained more than 40 emerging leaders. But our work has just begun!
Chicago Votes Education Fund seeks a Development Director to work with the Executive Director and Board of Directors on all fundraising and event efforts. Chicago Votes’ fund development relies on a combination of grant-writing and foundation support, major gifts of $1,000 and up, a robust monthly membership program, numerous events throughout the year, corporate sponsorship cultivation, and a year-end fundraising campaign.
The ideal candidate will have fundraising, communications and event planning experience, and will be excited to contribute to the dynamic work environment at Chicago Votes.
The Development Director will report to the Executive Director and provide day-to-day supervision to the operations associate. This is a full-time exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. A healthy health care stipend is offered as a benefit.
Planning & Management
- Work closely with the Executive Director to strategically develop, manage, and implement an annual fundraising plan and organizational budget
- Manage and support fundraising and event efforts of the Chicago Votes Board of Directors
- Cultivate relationships with current and prospective donors through a mix of in-person meetings and other strategies
- Track and maintain detailed records in NGP VAN of all former, current, and prospective major donors
Foundations & Grants
- Lead all grant-writing efforts, including the development of grants, materials, and reports
- Continue to develop our relationship with current foundation grantors, while building new relationships with prospective foundations and program directors
- Develop a robust monthly member program, including maintenance and communication with current members and the accrual of new members
- Manage staff and board work plans for monthly membership goals
- Plan and manage Chicago Votes events, including but not limited to an annual fundraising event, major donor house parties, legislative and holiday happy hours, and corporate events
- Manage staff in the development and execution of Chicago Votes events
- Plan and execute a year-end fundraising campaign
- Lead the development of the annual report and other program materials, including quarterly insider updates for target and potential donors
- Support the development of all organizational materials including campaign fact sheets, handouts and supporter cards
- Manage the day-to-day outward communication efforts of the organization through social media (email, Facebook, Twitter)
- Regularly update our website (WordPress) and work with staff to ensure updates are in alignment with programmatic efforts
- Support earned media efforts as necessary
- Establish strong, productive relationships on behalf of Chicago Votes with community leaders, elected officials, and various other stakeholders
- Provide fundraising training to 40+ board members, interns, and fellows
- Maintain donor database in NGP and work with Operations Associate to ensure accurate financial record keeping
- Assist and support Chicago Votes’ general programs at times, including communications, voter engagement, and policy work
- Expert relationship-builder – strong ability to network and build strategic partnerships
- Proven track record of setting and meeting ambitious goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to stay on top of details and moving pieces
- Experience in non-profit fundraising and/or campaign finance
- Event coordination & planning experience
- Some familiarity with nonprofit legal structures of 501(c)3s and 501(c)4s preferred
- A high energy and contagiously fun(ny) personality
- A self-starter who shows strong initiative
- Flexible and able to thrive in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Committed to grassroots democracy
- Passionate about cultivating young leaders and advancing a progressive agenda
- Committed to the organizational mission in order to effectively promote and advance the goals of Chicago Votes
Relevant Software & Tools
(should know some & learn the rest)
- Pages, Numbers and Keynote
- Basic HTML and WordPress
- NGP VAN (our donor database and primary tool for emailing our base)
- Social Media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Hootsuite
Benefits include salary commensurate with experience, health benefits, paid vacation, and a train and bus accessible location.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to the attention of Christian at Jen@chicagovotes.com.
Chicago Votes supports and fosters leadership from underrepresented communities. We strongly urge woman, people of color, and folks from immigrant communities to apply.